High School Diploma
Mid Career (2+ years of experience)
Commensurate with experience
Job Description for Technician 1
Title of Position: Technician 1
Department: Technical Staff
Reports to: CEO; dotted line to Director of Operations
Tolar Systems, Inc. was established in 1999 as an IT professional services company to support increasingly advanced technology needs for businesses. Our team draws from 20+ years of experience in each field. We specialize in technology convergence in the financial and oil/gas verticals. Our core expertise centers around helping clients securely communicate data and voice to users in all situations.
We believe in:
- CUSTOMERS FIRST: We deliver what customers need, not what gains us most. We treat customers’ business as our own.
- FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE: We deliver the kind of service we want to receive.
- INTEGRITY: We tell the truth, always. In hard situations we do the right thing, not the easy thing.
- PASSION: We care deeply. We fight to help clients go further, do better, and create new possibilities.
- GENEROSITY: Our team members are empowered to be generous to clients, coworkers and in all aspects of their lives.
- PROACTIVE: We focus on driving future results, not just solving current problems. Prevention is better than any cure.
Overview of Position/ Job Purpose:
Technician 1 is a role that manages repairs, installation and maintenance of computers and laptops for Tolar’s clients at a primary level in both remote access and in-person situations. Apart from handling stand alone computer issues, the role may also manage network problems. The Technician 1 may install hardware and software, configure LANs, WANs and MANs and maintain network services. S/he may also be expected to maintain and repair equipment and troubleshoot computer and network issues. The Technician 1 also performs help desk operations by taking customers’ telephone calls and assisting them in resolving their issues. The overall mission for the Technician 1 is to solve clients’ issues as quickly and efficiently as possible to uphold Tolar’s excellence in technology and in client services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works to complete all assigned tickets within scheduled time and budget
- Tickets can include tasks around configuring, repairing, cleaning or installing systems, tools, networks, machines, etc…
- Submits daily time of items worked on with detailed notes
- Develops & adheres to documentation for common tasks
- Installs hardware, software and device drivers on standalone computers
- Installs and configures computer networks including LAN and WAN
- Manages network configurations to ensure that all computers on a network can communicate effectively
- Tests computers peripherals, hardware and software to ensure that they are working appropriately
- Upgrades software, patches and operating systems on a continuous basis
- Installs and configures monitors, keyboards and printers
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems
- Ensures that all computers are secured effectively by installing and updating antivirus software
- Sets up and organizes IPs appropriately
- Analyzes network problems and manage preventative maintenance procedures including firewall maintenance, managing licenses and other technical needs for clients
- Explains the role of network applications and equipment to the end users
- Works with team to help with picking up and dropping off machines, delivering things, moving tech equipment, and other ad hoc needs
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Certifications such as CISCO or in Microsoft are an added bonus.
- Work experience will be accepted in lieu of formal education.
- 1-3 years related Computer Technician experience required.
- Ability and desire to occasionally be “on-call” during evening and weekend hours when business requires it.
- High level of drive and desire to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Able to work collaboratively with a team as well as diligently indepedently.
Technical Knowledge Required:
Understanding of and experience in:
- Basic batch scripting knowledge
- Knowledge of Active Directory Directory Services
- Knowledge of the Office Products on a registry level
- Knowledge of Windows on a Super User level (can manipulate the registry, use Diskpart, can use and understand 3rd party tools such as Cleaner, Windirstat, Memtest36, etc…)
- Knowledge on the basic hardware and logistics of a network (switches, patch panels, cable termination, DNS, DHCP, NAT, TCP/IP
- Knowledge of the hardware of a computer and how to diagnose their failures
- Understands how the parts of OSS work (registry, file explorer, network adapters)
The Technician 1 may have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of clients. The Technician 1 may find the environment to be busy, noisy and will need excellent organizational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
The Technician 1 must be able to lift up to 50 lbs 4 feet in the air. The position requires travel to client sites via car, and demands a person who can sit, stand, and kneel.