Posted 9 months ago
Job Description for Technician 1
Title of Position: Technician 1
Department: Technical Staff
Reports to: Service Manager
Tolar Systems, Inc. was established in 1999 as an IT professional services company to support increasingly advanced technology needs for businesses. Our team draws from 20+ years of experience in each field. We specialize in technology convergence in the financial and oil/gas verticals. Our core expertise centers around helping clients securely communicate data and voice to users in all situations.
We believe in:
- CUSTOMERS FIRST: We deliver what customers need, not what gains us most. We treat customers’ business as our own.
- FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE: We deliver the kind of service we want to receive.
- INTEGRITY: We tell the truth, always. In hard situations we do the right thing, not the easy thing.
- PASSION: We care deeply. We fight to help clients go further, do better, and create new possibilities.
- GENEROSITY: Our team members are empowered to be generous to clients, coworkers and in all aspects of their lives.
- PROACTIVE: We focus on driving future results, not just solving current problems. Prevention is better than any cure.
Overview of Position/ Job Purpose:
Technician 1 is a role that manages repairs, installation and maintenance of computers and laptops for Tolar’s clients at a primary level in both remote access and in-person situations. Apart from handling stand alone computer issues, the role may also manage network problems. The Technician 1 may install hardware and software, configure LANs, WANs and MANs and maintain network services. S/he may also be expected to maintain and repair equipment and troubleshoot computer and network issues. The Technician 1 also performs help desk operations by taking customers’ telephone calls and assisting them in resolving their issues. The overall mission for the Technician 1 is to solve clients’ issues as quickly and efficiently as possible to uphold Tolar’s excellence in technology and in client services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works to complete all assigned tickets within scheduled time and budget
- Tickets can include tasks around configuring, repairing, cleaning or installing systems, tools, networks, machines, etc…
- Submits daily time of items worked on with detailed notes
- Develops & adheres to documentation for common tasks
- Installs hardware, software and device drivers on standalone computers
- Installs and configures computer networks including LAN and WAN
- Manages network configurations to ensure that all computers on a network can communicate effectively
- Tests computers peripherals, hardware and software to ensure that they are working appropriately
- Upgrades software, patches and operating systems on a continuous basis
- Installs and configures monitors, keyboards and printers
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems
- Ensures that all computers are secured effectively by installing and updating antivirus software
- Sets up and organizes IPs appropriately
- Analyzes network problems and manage preventative maintenance procedures including firewall maintenance, managing licenses and other technical needs for clients
- Explains the role of network applications and equipment to the end users
- Works with team to help with picking up and dropping off machines, delivering things, moving tech equipment, and other ad hoc needs
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Certifications such as CISCO or in Microsoft are an added bonus.
- Work experience will be accepted in lieu of formal education.
- 1-3 years related Computer Technician experience required.
- Ability and desire to occasionally be “on-call” during evening and weekend hours when business requires it.
- High level of drive and desire to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Able to work collaboratively with a team as well as diligently indepedently.
Technical Knowledge Required:
Understanding of and experience in:
- Basic batch scripting knowledge
- Knowledge of Active Directory Directory Services
- Knowledge of the Office Products on a registry level
- Knowledge of Windows on a Super User level (can manipulate the registry, use Diskpart, can use and understand 3rd party tools such as Cleaner, Windirstat, Memtest36, etc…)
- Knowledge on the basic hardware and logistics of a network (switches, patch panels, cable termination, DNS, DHCP, NAT, TCP/IP
- Knowledge of the hardware of a computer and how to diagnose their failures
- Understands how the parts of OSS work (registry, file explorer, network adapters)
The Technician 1 may have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of clients. The Technician 1 may find the environment to be busy, noisy and will need excellent organizational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
The Technician 1 must be able to lift up to 50 lbs 4 feet in the air. The position requires travel to client sites via car, and demands a person who can sit, stand, and kneel.
|Education||High School Diploma|
|Experience||Mid Career (2+ years of experience)|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|