Understanding Network Security
Businesses are often so concerned with their day-to-day operations that they forget to invest in network security. Others understand the need for comprehensive network security, but lack the skills and experience to adequately manage their IT, putting them at risk of a data leak.
Today more than ever, business owners need to understand both what network security entails and the best practices that will keep their network secure from the numerous outside threats looking to infiltrate it. Understanding network security is no longer optional, it’s essential to keeping your data, and ultimately your business, safe.
What is Network Security?
On the surface, network security might appear to be simply a matter of keeping your data safe, but there’s more to it than meets the eye.
Securing your company’s network involves protecting your data not just once against a single threat but continuously from high-level and low-level threats alike. It requires more than just purchasing the right hardware and software to provide the protection you need; it also includes regular maintenance: patching and updating software systems to seal vulnerabilities, integrating security hardware and software on your network, and regular monitoring of your network traffic to help determine the presence of any abnormalities.
By following these steps over time, you can implement a comprehensive network security program that will keep unwanted intruders off of your company’s network.
Network Security Protects Your Business From Threats
As businesses and individuals have come to rely on the Internet for more aspects of their lives and livelihoods, the number of network security threats that face each individual and business have only grown. Some of the most common network security threats include:
- Spyware and adware: These can invade your privacy and pave the way for more dangerous infections. Spyware can log your keystrokes, collecting information that can be used to steal your identity. Adware, on the other hand, isn’t inherently dangerous but it is annoying, distracting and can slow down the operation of your computer or device.
- Phishing and Identity Theft: Hackers may pose as a reputable business partner in an attempt to steal information from you, such as credit card numbers, banking credentials, or passwords. They’ll do this by appearing legitimate through an email or an elaborate, fake website designed to look like the real deal.
- Viruses, Malware, and Exploitation of Vulnerabilities: The goal of a hacker is to infiltrate your databases and make off with valuable information, or to leave a Trojan backdoor behind for later access at their leisure. Hackers often infect systems with viruses or malware which can either cause damage or allow for remote code execution. These measures take advantage of vulnerabilities found within the code of a piece of software or an operating system, and they can be difficult to remove once they’ve been implanted.
Network Security from Tolar Systems
Tolar Systems takes preventative measures to keep threats like these from entering your system in the first place. Prevention helps to avoid costly maintenance or downtime that can follow a hacking attack.
Our comprehensive network security solutions include Unified Threat Management devices to keep threats of all kinds from entering your network and neutralizing those that do. The UTM solution includes:
- Firewalls: Firewalls are your first lines of defense against outside threats. A firewall analyzes the traffic and data going to and from your network. Think of it like a virtual bouncer which keeps dangerous entities from entering your network.
- Patches and Updates: Hackers and cybercriminals are seeking vulnerabilities that they can exploit to access your network. One of the best ways to eliminate these vulnerabilities is through timely patches and updates to your software, hardware and infrastructure. Tolar Systems’ remote maintenance tool allows us to apply these as soon as they are released, providing continuous security.
- Antivirus Software: If a virus or piece of malware does manage to get through your firewall, it can be neutralized with an enterprise-level antivirus software. An antivirus eliminates threats as quickly as possible while limiting damage done.
- Spam Blocking: Not only is spam annoying, some phishing emails might slip through your defenses. Instead of going directly to your inbox where you might fall for their tricks, it goes to the spam folder, where it can be promptly ignored and deleted.
- Content Filtering: Not all web content is safe for viewing, so it’s important that your team can tell the fake sites from the real ones. Content filtering allows you to block certain websites from access, so it’s also good for increasing productivity in the office by limiting employee access to time-wasting websites like Facebook, BuzzFeed, and others.
Tolar Systems’ Complete Care managed IT services are a complete solution for all your network security needs, assuring your systems are always protected across every connection and device. It eliminates the costly repairs and damage to your reputation that a network security breach can cause, all for a cost-effective and predictable monthly investment.
A healthy network is a secure network; Tolar Systems can help. Contact us today to learn more about how we can keep your network safe.